One thing we love most about building custom homes and creating unique living spaces is incorporating the value a family places on hosting and entertaining guests. With the holidays just around the corner, we’d like to share some of our must-haves for creating the perfect spaces that keep your guests full, happy, and comfortable (while also making entertaining easier on you).
Kitchens & Dining Rooms
- Opt for a large island to maximize counter space. This makes prepping food much less of a hassle, and allows you to serve your favorite family-style dishes.
- If you’re building a custom home, choose a layout that places the kitchen close to the dining room. This makes it so much easier to transfer food and empty dishes.
- Don’t forget lighting! Never underestimate the power of hue, placement, and style of light. It can make all the difference between soft ambiance and blinding fluorescence.
Around the Home
- It’s important to be extra mindful of electrical outlets, especially around the holidays. Ensure outlets are appropriately positioned throughout the house, particularly in common areas, and in good reach for a Christmas tree or other holiday decorations.
- Open floor plans are all the rage right now, and for good reason. They allow guests in multiple rooms to interact and converse without feeling closed off.
- Football fans in the house? A separate media room/living space keeps them entertained while still being within earshot of the rest of the guests. This separate space can also make a great playroom for children.
- Music helps set the mood for get-togethers. Consider adding a built-in entertainment system throughout your home so you can hear the music wherever you are.
Your home has been maximized to keep your guests happy and comfortable, so why shouldn’t their rooms be just as accommodating? Consider separate guest rooms or a guest house that contain practical amenities like bathrooms, closets, drawers, kitchenettes, and private entryways.
The holidays are an exciting time of year, so we hope these tips make it easier and more enjoyable to host your family and friends. A little bit of pre-planning can go a long way to making this the best holiday season ever.